Wednesday, September 9, 2009

... One Giant Leap For Homeowners

The next Tuesday, May 14th, I wait home again to meet with our contractor and the electrician. He seems like a nice enough guy, but strikes me as a bit of a pechectch. If you don't know what that means, think of Joe Lieberman with a toolbelt. Most of what he says is a little whiny; "We can't do that," or "Why is that here? It has to go." Seldom is heard an encouraging word. Anyway, he and I draw markings on the walls in both bathrooms where new outlets and switches need to go, and I get out of there. Later that afternoon I get an update call from our contractor during which he mentions that the porta-potty has been delivered. Say what? He tells me this will prevent the workers from traipsing through the house to use our bathroom. That sounds very thoughtful, until I pull into the driveway that evening and there on the front lawn - right by the curb - proudly sits a bright green and brown porta-potty looking like a giant Brussel sprout. And just as aromatic. Our neighbors must be thrilled - after this that 40-foot trailer will be a welcome change.

The next few days... nothing. But, we finally begin to get more wiring, framing for the medicine cabinets in both bathrooms, and word from the gas company that the new main AND the meter will be installed on Wednesday the 27th. The Golden Spike at last, because our contractor prudently won't begin excavating for the addition until this situation is resolved. So this is indeed a major milestone.

The electrician - who I refer to as Sparky - slowly adds more wiring, switches, outlets, etc. Sometimes he'll even call during the day to confirm exactly where I want something that we've already discussed. I tell him, he offers reasons why it can't work, we go back and forth, he finally concedes, and then I come home and invariably it isn't where I wanted it. I leave him notes, draw diagrams on the studs - with arrows, yet - and things still end up on different walls. At this point I'm thinking that if I have two choices I'll give him the one I don't really want, as the odds are pretty good it will end up where I wanted it in the first place. But why do I have the feeling that our electrician and I could use some couples' counseling?

No comments:

Post a Comment