Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Missing Jinx

It's been a running joke for many years that whenever Shaw and I find something we like for the house - a line of linens, dishes, fabric, a particular furniture model - it gets removed from the market immediately after we buy it. So, adding to or replacing what we have becomes impossible. Well, our kiss of death apparently now extends to entire companies.

About three years ago we had a gas fireplace installed by a local shop. When it came time to choosing tile for the surrounding trim, I wasn't crazy about anything they had available, so the owner directed me to a new tile store located right next door. The selection was amazing, I found what I wanted, and I filed this place away for future reference. When it came time last spring to select the tile for our kitchen and two bathrooms I went back, worked with the owner and made some great choices. Everything but the tile for the backsplash, which we decided we'd choose once the kitchen took shape. In early September I made another visit and found the perfect tile that brings together all the colors in the kitchen. It was ordered, and I was told to expect delivery around October 15th.

Some time during the second week of October Shaw asked whether I had heard when the tile would be in. I called the store, and was greeted by a recording which stated the number had been disconnected or not assigned. Thinking it could be a phone company glitch I tried again the next day - same response. The day after that I drove by the store and saw a new business getting ready to open, with no sign of the tile place. The next few days were spent on-line trying to find the same tile elsewhere which, as the tile is made in Italy and only available through an Italian importer, was not as easy as you'd think. Just as I was about to order it from some place out west, the owner of the store called to tell me that he'd lost his lease, was looking for a new site, but the order had been placed and would be ready in another two weeks. He was now working out of his car.

Meanwhile, in order to build the addition, part of the fence and gate we'd had installed with the pool about four years ago had to be removed. We kept all of the parts, but yesterday the contractor asked us to call the company that had installed it to have them come back and put it in right, at his expense. I found the number, called and left a message. This morning the owner called me to say she'd had to close the company last month, but had a referral who could hopefully help.

At this point we're afraid to hire anybody because we don't want their children to starve.

No comments:

Post a Comment